Oh Social Media!! What did we ever do without the ability to share and overshare on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter? How did we ever keep up with all our friends, families, frenemies and all the trending topics of the world without the swipe and scroll of social media at our fingertips?
I love how Social Media has connected people around the world but there are certainly some Facebook Users, “friends” or posts that make us want to abandon social media all together. Luckily, there are unfollow and hide buttons for that! I read an article of the most annoying things on Facebook, I was surprised that I made this list more than once! We all know them, we may even fall into these categories ourselves, we’re all guilty of commenting, posting or sharing something on social media that others may find annoying. For this month’s Top Ten, I’m writing about the Top Ten Most Annoying Things on Facebook, (I’m really just summarizing and paraphrasing the article I read, lol.) Let’s laugh at ourselves a little bit! I know I’ve done at least 3 or 4 of these things, how about you?
10. The Whiner / Complainer / Wanker – Oh woe is me! Life is awful and every day is the worst day ever. We all have a friend like this. The one who can’t wait for Summer to arrive and when Summer comes, they complain about the air conditioning bill, but it’s way too hot to do anything outside. These Debbie Downers just have a tendency to complain about everything and nothing can make them happy. They may be on an amazing vacation, but they complain about it being the vacation from hell. Sorry for the language but this E-card is hilarious and so applicable to our Debbie Downer friends, lol!
9. “Everything is awesome!” Posts – How is this annoying? The only people that are annoyed by these types of posts are the Negative Nancies, see #1. The complete opposite of the Debbie Downer posts are the “Everything is awesome” posts, these posts are about how fabulous peoples’ lives are. I love these people, they’re my favorite friends. Pictures of their cute kids on the first day of school (I do this every year!), flowers or gifts from their spouses “just because,” their homes look like they belong in the pages of a Better Homes and Gardens magazine, they travel the world and have cool jobs, pretty much the best lives ever. We’re all a little jealous of these friends, their theme song in life should be “All I do is win!” If you have an amazing, awesome life, like oh…say, Tom Brady, more power to you!
8. The Selfie Kings and Queens – I love a good selfie! Who doesn’t appreciate a good picture of someone that they took themselves? Come on, there’s a selfie for everyone! The mirror selfie, #ootd selfie, the gym selfie, the sweaty selfie or #swelfie, there’s also the selfie with a popular landmark, the “I’m doing something cool” selfie, messy hair selfie, #iwokeuplikethis selfie! The Selfie has become such a huge cultural phenomenon, they created selfie sticks! Here are some funny selfies I found online:
7. Speaking in Hashtags – Notice all the hashtags in #3? Sometimes, all of those hashtags are in one post or selfie! Which leads me to another annoying thing on FB, speaking in hashtag! I’m guilty of adding a hashtag, or two, or three in a post, but some people write a whole paragraph of hashtags in one post! #ridic #cantherebeanymorehashtags
Watch this Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake skit on hashtags! #hilarious #lol
6. The Constant Commenter / Liker / Sharer – I totally do this! I like to comment and like stuff, lots of stuff! It’s how I socialize, isn’t this social media after all? I’ve liked and commented on every first day of school picture in my newsfeed this school year (You don’t want to leave anyone out!) Sometimes though, I’m embarrassed for the constant “commenter/liker/sharer” because the post wasn’t a good thing, like RIP (Insert name of dog or cat here) someone’s dog died, and you obviously shouldn’t “like” that.
5. Political Rants – Of course these are annoying because if you’re a Democrat, you’re annoyed by the Republicans and vice versa. If you’re neither Republican or Democrat, then you’re annoyed with both, and if you’re clueless, then you’re just annoying. Maybe I’m not brave enough, but I just think there are some things I shouldn’t talk about on Facebook. It’s like that unspoken rule, there are three things you shouldn’t talk about with friends: money, politics and religion. Don’t get me wrong, I love posts that are informative and enlightening but Debbie Downer political rants are kind of annoying. But you know, whatever! It’s a free country! Here are some funny E-cards about this very thing:
4. Photo Overkill – Fitness before and after photos, cute kids and pets photos, vacation photos, food photos. Photo overkill, we get it, you look fantastic, your kids and pets are cute, and you’re a gourmet chef too? Photo overkill! (Totally guilty again 🙂
3. Cryptic Messages – You’ve seen these messages. You know, the ones that have just a few words, vague words like “Devastated” or “Feeling depressed.” Cryptic messages are annoying, I’m the most curious and nosiest person ever so I’d be one of the friends commenting to ask “WTH happened? Are you okay? Is there something I can do to help? Pleeease tell me what that cryptic message means!!
2. Excessive Tagging – Have you ever been tagged on a post, or a picture and you weren’t even there? Like dude, I wasn’t even there!
1. Game or Random Event Invites – Please don’t send me any more Candy Crush invites, thanks!
Which of these do you think is most annoying? Better yet…which of these do you do that may annoy your friends???